In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, many cities and states are ordering residents to remain at home. Studies show that we already spend up to 90% of our time indoors, and such orders will only increase this percentage. While it may seem as if the air within our homes is much cleaner than outdoor air, this is, unfortunately, not the case. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has found that our indoor air can be up to five times dirtier than the air outside! Breathing in contaminated air can have serious effects on your health. Fortunately, the expert Taunton HVAC technicians at Cotti-Johnson offer numerous solutions to improve your indoor air quality.
What’s in Your Indoor Air?
There are multiple ways pollutants enter your home and contaminate your indoor air. Dust can accumulate within your heating and cooling systems, pollen can blow in when you open your windows or doors, toxic chemicals spread when you use cleaning solutions, etc.
The following are common pollutants found within your indoor air:
- Pet dander
- Carbon monoxide
- Formaldehyde and other chemicals found in home furnishings
Breathing in such contaminants can cause your throat to become irritated, your nose to run, your eyes to itch, headaches, dizziness, and fatigue. Additionally, poor indoor air quality is especially dangerous for those who suffer from allergies or asthma, as the presence of pollutants can exacerbate their symptoms. In times like these, it’s important to ensure that you’re breathing fresh, safe, and clean air.
Don’t Compromise Your Comfort
In addition to the negative effects on your health, poor indoor air quality can also cause harm to your HVAC system. As dust accumulates within your ducts and filters, it causes strain on your HVAC system as it works harder to keep your home at the desired temperature. This will cause your energy bills to skyrocket and it could lead to an eventual breakdown. Rather than have to worry about repairs, let our Taunton indoor air quality specialists help by installing a variety of solutions so your home can keep you cool or warm while you’re cooped up inside.
How Cotti-Johnson Can Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
We proudly offer multiple ways to improve your indoor air quality and preserve your HVAC system.
- Installing HEPA filters: If you’re currently using a standard filter in your HVAC system, we can replace it with a HEPA filter. These filters are much more efficient at trapping small particles, which makes them effective at sanitizing your indoor air.
- Installing UV germicidal lights: Your ductwork can get dirty fast—dust can accumulate and excess moisture can cause mold or mildew to grow. Installing UV germicidal lights in your ductwork can assist with killing any germs or fungi. They work by damaging the biological structure of these contaminants, thus preventing further growth.
- Installing an air purification system: At Cotti-Johnson, we offer a variety of air purification products ranging from stand-alone models to those that are installed within your HVAC system. These units help prevent germs, allergens, and other contaminants from circulating within your indoor air.
It’s important to note that none of these products are effective at killing or eliminating the presence of COVID-19. However, remaining inside and breathing clean air is one way to make you less vulnerable to it.
Safety Precautions We Take
At Cotti-Johnson, the safety of our customers and employees is extremely important to us.
When we show up for a job, we will take the following precautionary measures:
- Follow the strict guidelines that healthcare staff must follow before we are allowed to work
- Wear fresh protective gloves
- Wear fresh safety goggles
- Wear fresh shoe covers
- Wipe down our trucks and gear with disinfectant wipes after each job
Let us help you stay safe, healthy, and comfortable while we must remain indoors. Call (774) 768-5154 or contact us online to schedule service.