Serving the Community Since 1944
If you own an older house that was built prior to 1950, you may have a unique type of wiring in your home called knob and tube wiring. This standardized method of wiring consists of wires running through tubes that are inserted into holes in wooden floor joists. The wires are held in place by porcelain knobs that keep them from touching the wood. Our team at Cotti-Johnson is fully experienced with this kind of wiring and can assist you if you’re experiencing problems or need something rewired.
Our Taunton knob and tube wiring team is backed by decades of experience and understands the complexities of these projects. This type of wiring is no longer used in new homes, yet it doesn’t need to be removed or replaced. However, there are certain precautions and methods that need to be adhered to when dealing with it. Many electrical companies may not be very familiar with how to approach repairs or rewiring projects such as these. We’ve got you covered.
Contact us at (774) 768-5154 to learn more about our knob and tube wiring services in Taunton. We proudly service the local community.
“Patrick and his crew did a great job. Patrick first went through the house with us to confirm the best locations to install the inside units as well as to determine how best aesthetically to locate the necessary exterior conduits.”John S.
“I can’t say enough about the service we received. We engaged this team to assist with an internet issue we were having and ending up having them assist with wiring for our ductless ac/heating unit in the garage and they also installed a generator.”Margaret P.
“Sam did an awesome job installing backup generator inlet at my house. He was very professional and made sure that I understood how to switch over to generator power when it is needed.”Chris C.
“These guys answered all my questions and always filled me in throughout the entire 3-day process. Hard workers. Thanks, guys.”David R.
“Right now all we can think about is using our new AC on those hot summer days!!!!! Thank you, Peter and the Cotti-Johnson team!!!!!”Kevin K.
Some problems that can lead to a short circuit or overheating of your knob and tube wiring include:
- Insulation – It’s important that any insulation be kept away from this type of wiring, as it requires open air space. Close proximity can lead to fires, as the wires give off a lot of heat that builds up when electricity is flowing through.
- Alterations – Many electrical companies that are not equipped to repair this wiring will take shortcuts or try to make alterations to the wiring. Because this is an old style of wiring, often replacement parts are not easily available, which is why some electricians will provide makeshift fixes.
- Excessive use – Homes use quite a bit more electricity these days than they did when knob and tube wiring was first installed. This can lead to the wiring system becoming overheated as it struggles to keep up with the demand.
- Damage – Because knob and tube wiring is exposed, it can be damaged more easily than other wiring.
- Brittle insulation – This insulation on knob and tube wiring can dry out over time and start to flake off.
It’s important that you hire a professional with a thorough understanding of this type of wiring. Trying to fix it yourself or hiring an inexperienced team could increase the risk of shock or fire.
How Do I Know If I Have Knob and Tube Wiring?
The average American doesn’t think too much about their electrical system… until they have to. Most people don’t realize they might have a different system than the average home. Many homes built before the 1950s have knob and tube wiring. To confirm if you have this system, check your attic or basement for white, ceramic knobs. Electrical wires will snake through the knobs to support the wiring strands and the tubes will protect loose wires.
At Cotti-Johnson, our Taunton electricians have experience working with knob and tube wiring. We have the tools and knowledge to carefully repair and maintain this type of electrical system, something not every electrician can boast. And when you’re ready to upgrade, we’re here to help you do that too!
Trust Our Taunton Team
You have several options when it comes to electricians in Taunton, but few offer the experience and dedication to quality that you’ll find at Cotti-Johnson. We offer free estimates, same-day service appointments, and discounts for military personnel. There is no problem too big or small for our team, so reach out to us for quality, professional solutions.
Our Taunton knob and tube wiring team is standing by to help you. Contact us today!