Common Furnace Odors & What They Mean
Is there an odd odor emanating from your furnace? Don't ignore it! Strange smells coming from your heating system could indicate an underlying issue that needs attention. In this blog post, we'll explore some common causes of weird furnace smells and provide useful tips to help you troubleshoot the problem.
1. Burning Dust
When you turn on your furnace after a long period of inactivity, it's common to experience a burning smell. This smell is usually caused by accumulated dust burning off the heating elements.
To eliminate this odor, try the following:
- Change your furnace filter regularly to reduce dust buildup.
- Vacuum the area around your furnace to remove any excess dust.
- Consider scheduling a professional furnace cleaning to thoroughly remove dust and debris.
2. Gas Leak
If you detect a rotten egg smell, it could indicate a gas leak from your furnace. Gas leaks are serious and require immediate attention.
Follow these steps if you suspect a gas leak:
- Evacuate your home and ensure everyone's safety.
- Call your gas company or emergency services to report the leak.
- Call Cotti-Johnson to schedule a furnace repair service.
- Avoid using any open flames or electrical devices until the issue is resolved.
3. Mold or Mildew
A musty smell coming from your furnace could indicate the presence of mold or mildew.
To address this issue, consider the following steps:
- Inspect your furnace and surrounding areas for signs of moisture or water leaks.
- Ensure proper ventilation and humidity control in your home.
- If necessary, consult a professional HVAC technician to assess and address any mold or mildew growth.
Odd Smells Coming From Your Furnace? We Can Help!
If you've tried troubleshooting the issue but are still experiencing weird smells from your furnace, it's time to call in the professionals. At Cotti-Johnson HVAC, Inc., we specialize in diagnosing and resolving furnace issues. Our experienced technicians are trained to handle a wide range of heating system problems, ensuring your comfort and safety.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment and let our experts take care of that weird smell coming from your furnace. Don't wait until the problem worsens or poses a risk to your health and home.